Thursday, September 11, 2008

mad men; 2



i hate myself for not having watched this show before last night.

i wish i was being melodramatic, but i'm not.

to be fair, sham & i don't have cable. so we don't get AMC. i wanted to watch this one from the very beginning but couldn't. so then i had my dad download it for me & mail it to me, but i really dropped the ball on that one also. i still have the DVDs, but i never once watched them. since i started this blog, i keep meaning to watch mad men online to review, but i never did. i've had the pilot loaded onto my firefox about three times now, but things keep distracting me or work keeps making me busy.

but seriously? SERIOUSLY?



i've been missing out. i mean, LOOK AT THOSE CLOTHES. i would give anything to be able to (afford to) dress like that every day of my life. the set design & costumes are absolutely stunning. i never ONCE didn't buy that these people are living in the early 1960s. every damn thing feels accurate to me, even down to the drinking glasses, cigarette cases, & home decor. i wasn't alive during this time period, but for 45 minutes at a time, mad men allows me to pretend that i was (& thank you for that, mad men. because it's not really a secret that i wish i could live in this era).

the acting is also superb. while watching the show, sham actually turned to me & said, "oh yeah, i forgot that people can act." especially on TV! i mean, i had begun to believe that ANYONE could get on TV, regardless of any actual talent. but thank you, mad men, for finally getting it right & finding people who could act. it really, really, really makes a difference.

ok, plot. sure, the clothes & hotties are what initially attracted me to this show, but will the plot keep me watching it? yes. absolutely. yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. on the first disc alone, peggy basically gets called a "strumpet" by her gyno because she wants birth control. then, she comes onto her boss & sleeps with a co-worker who is about to be married! yikes! don is already cheating on his wife (who almost killed her kids in a car accident because her hands keep going numb), yet he is frustrated because she seems sad. then, he had the audacity to tell a female client that he will not let a woman "talk to him like that" when she tells him his ideas are stupid. etc etc etc.

fantastic.

i don't feel like i'm watching TV; i feel like i'm watching a movie. a movie that i never want to end. do you hear me, mad men? i never want you to end! never!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention the I'm just a woman-typewriter line - my jaw hit the ground and I guffawed. I was blown away by the way it feels like you're stepping into another world.